Search Postgresql Archives

Insert speed

I have a user application use log.

Under pg 7.x the system performed fine.

In 8.1, the insert statements seem to take a long time sometimes, upto several seconds or more.

Here is the table:
CREATE TABLE user_app_use_log
(
 user_id int4 NOT NULL,
 access_stamp timestamptz NOT NULL DEFAULT now(),
 app_name char(50) NOT NULL,
 url char(150) NOT NULL,
 form_params text,
 division_id char(3),
 url_params text,
 ip_address varchar(31)
)
WITHOUT OIDS;

There is no primary key, but the table is never updated, only inserted.
I removed the only index, with no improvement in performance (in case the 8.2 "resolves index locking issues" was the concern for an 8.1 install.

Should I add a primary key column of serial?  Will that help?

If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

--
Terry Fielder
terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx