Search Postgresql Archives

Re: CREATE FUNCTION ... performance boost?

On 6/29/07, Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello all,

   In order to speed up commonly used queries, I use prepared
statements. I assume that 'prepare' tells some database query planner to
take a look at a query, and do all preparations for it, then store those
preparations somewhere for when it's needed.

   When I use CREATE FUNCTION to create a function, does that also get
"planned" automatically (plsql, specifically). My gut feeling is that it
doesn't (mainly since it can be any external language).

'execute' is pretty much the fastest possible way to execute a query
(or, even better, PQexecPrepared via C)...it's less cpu cycles than a
function although barely.       I would suggest maybe rethinking your
query into a view and querying that with or without prepare.

merlin