Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Standby servers and incrementally updated backups

On Jun 25, 2007, at 3:40 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 13:42 -0500, Erik Jones wrote:

It is my understanding that once a standby server has reached the
point where it is often waiting for wal files to replay, it is pretty
much caught up to the primary server, with the differences being in
whatever wal files are currently in queue to be archived by the
primary.

Yes. You can tell by using

  select pg_xlogfile_name(pg_current_xlog_location());

to see what the current file on the Primary is.

Thanks for the tip.

 If I'm correct, then for large databases wherein it can
take hours to take a base backup, is there anything to be gained by
using incrementally updated backups?

If you are certain there are parts of the database not touched at all
between backups. The only real way to be sure is to take file level
checksums, or you can trust file dates. Many backup solutions can do
this for you.

Wait, um, what? I'm still not clear on why you would want to run a backup of an already caught up standby server.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@xxxxxxxxxx
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888