Search Postgresql Archives

Re: unexpected shutdown

developer@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
developer@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
My database has shutdown several times in the last couple days.  I have
no
idea why.  I am running centos and I have not rebooted the server or
made
any configuration changes.

Oh, I forgot. You do have plenty of swap space compared to RAM, yes? If you're running w/o swap, or little swap, the default settings of
overcommit_memory = 2 will cut your available RAM by a factor of 2.

This thread is interesting reading:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg97648.html

Since disk space is usually cheap these days, my rule of thumb is (the old one):

swap = 2 * ram

read it this way: "it you have 32GB of RAM, you can afford 64GB of disk storage"

BTW, this is a good idea both with overcommit on and off, IMHO.

.TM.