Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [NOVICE] Recursive relationship - preventing cross-index entries.

Michael Glaesemann wrote:
INSERT INTO accounts_receivable_receipts (accounts_receivable_id, receipt_id)
VALUES (2, 1), (4, 3), (6, 1), (5, 3);

I have not done much accounting-style design, and I don't think this is really the best way to set these up (for example, I think it's a bit odd to map these amounts against each other without indicating how much of the amount is matched), but without more information about your business logic, I don't really know what else to suggest.

In most I've seen, you have an "allocations" table linking payments received against individual invoices. So, you might have payment 1234 with £100 against inv #10001 and £150 against inv #10002.

The allocations table tends to have an "amount unallocated" column too, imposing an order to the allocations. Not strictly necessary from a database point of view, but I suspect left over from manual methods of working.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd