Search Postgresql Archives

Re: DeadLocks..., DeadLocks...

Terry Fielder wrote:

My 2 cents:

I used to get a lot of these sharelock problems.
Users using different records, but same tables in different order.
(apparently 7.x was not as good as 8.x at row level locking)

I was advised to upgrade from 7.x to 8.x
I did, and all those sharelock problems went away.

I'm on version 8.2 and not all the problems have gone away.

All I can do right now is just trap the error and retry...
Gets bogged down after a while. Not sure how much of a limitation the hardware is but 6 users and I start to run into a deadlock almost every 10 seconds.

I rarely need to go to 6 users, but it's interesting to see what happens when I do.

I'm finding the length of time necessary to wait for a retry can very a lot.

But I'm open to suggestions.