Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_xlog - files are guaranteed to be sequentialy named?

Johannes Konert schrieb:

> ....and time goes by, because everything seem to work just fine.
One should never rely on something seeming to be any kind of anything.
There are ways to _know_ things are right. Like using nagios to check
every vital sign state of your systems. That should include checking
system time against official time servers.

But I also agree that if there is a possibility that times differ (and
there of course is) the question is not if it can happen but when.
Everything that can go wrong will go wrong - whatever you do to prevent
things. Thats Finagle's law and its not proofed wrong yet.
So your solution has to consider that. Therefore I disagree Greg in
relying only on the system base.
There have to be mechanisms which use reliable information that behave
in only _one_ well known way (such as monotone increasing serial
numbers) or the system will break.

Regards,
  Frank Wittig