Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Using the GPU

On 6/8/07, Billings, John <John.Billings@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone think  that PostgreSQL could benefit from using the video card
as a parallel computing  device?  I'm working on a project using Nvidia's
CUDA with an 8800 series  video card to handle non-graphical algorithms.
I'm curious if anyone  thinks that this technology could be used to speed up
a database?

Absolutely.

If so  which part of the database, and what kind of parallel algorithms would be  used?

GPUs are parallel vector processing pipelines, which as far as I can
tell do not lend themselves right away to the data structures that
PostgreSQL uses; they're optimized for processing high volumes of
homogenously typed values in sequence.