Search Postgresql Archives

High-availability

Hi all,

After realizing that 'clustering' in the PgSQL docs means multiple DBs behind one server, and NOT multple machines, I am back at square one, feeling somewhat the fool. :P

Can anyone point me to docs/websites that discuss options on replicating in (as close as possible to) realtime? Ideally with load balancing while both/all servers are up, and failover/resyncing when a member fails and is restored.

  Is this even possible on PostgreSQL?

Being a quite small company, proprietary hardware and fancy software licenses are not possible (ie: 'use oracle' won't help).

I've looked at slony, but it looks more like a way to push occasional copies to slaves, and isn't meant to be real time. Am I wrong by chance?

  Thanks for any help/tips/pointers!

Madi