Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Slightly OT.

Dave Page wrote:
Alexander Staubo wrote:
On 6/1/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In the meantime, Cybertec (http://www.postgresql.at/, an Austrian
company) just announced a commercial synchronous multimaster
replication product based on 2-phase commit. It's expensive, and I
[snip]
I could be completely cranked but I believe that product is based on
PgCluster which is horrendously slow.
Well, dang, that's disappointing. Last I checked, the PGCluster design
was fundamentally unscalable.

Multimaster replication generally is - thats why Slony-2 will almost
certainly never exist in the form that it was originally imagined.
Although I'm not (and never have been) an Oracle user, I've heard that
RAC has it's own issues in this area as well.

IMO, the future is application partitioning, not multi-master.

Also, what I find interesting here is that PostgreSQL on modest hardware does excessively well.

I have a client right now that is running an 8 core, 16 gig box with only 14 spindles.

They are processing 6ktps and it takes 14 tomcat servers to bring the database down.

Any multi-master solution is going to fall over well before 6ktps.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

P.S. I should note that we are working toward more than 6ktps and will report back ;)

Regards, Dave

             http://www.commandprompt.com/