Search Postgresql Archives

Re: In theory question

On 09.05.2007 16:13, Naz Gassiep wrote:
This may be a question for -hackers, but I don't like disturbing them
unnecessarily.

I've been having a look at memcached. I would like to ask, is there any
reason that, theoretically, a similar caching system could be built
right into the db serving daemon?

I.e., the hash tables and libevent could sit on top of postmaster as an
optional component caching data on a per-query basis and only hitting
the actual db in the event of a cache miss?

I think this is close to what MySQL's query cache does. The question is if this should be the job of the DBMS and not another layer. At least the pgmemcache author and I think that it's better done outside the DBMS. See http://people.FreeBSD.org/~seanc/pgmemcache/pgmemcache.pdf for the idea.

--
Regards,
Hannes Dorbath