Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Idle session timeout?

Sean Murphy wrote:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 15:59, Sean Murphy wrote:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 12:19, Sean Murphy wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Sean Murphy <Sean.Murphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I'm WAY out of my depth here, but my impression, based on the
circumstances, is that there is some sort of an idle session timeout
kicking in (most likely on the client side) and dropping the connection.
There's no such timeout in the Postgres server, for sure.  I would
actually bet that your problem is in some router between the client and
the server.  In particular, routers that do NAT address mapping
typically have a timeout after which they will forget the mapping for an
idle connection.  If you've got one of those, see if it'll let you
change the timeout.

If you can't do that, you might think about teaching your client-side
code to send dummy queries every so often.

			regards, tom lane

I've already maxed out the connection timeout at the firewall... and
I've been using dummy queries every five minutes, but it just feels like
a crutch to do so.
Have you looked into tcp keepalive settings?

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 75
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 9
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 500

Not sure if those settings will help with an NAT router or not but it's
worth a try. Pgsql 8.2 can set those for you.

I may be celebrating prematurely,
Never stopped me :)

 but resetting the tcp_keepalive
parameters seems to have done the trick - I left a pgAdmin connection
that *always* drops after inactivity up while I went to lunch and it was
still alive when I got back.

Is there a way to alter the tcp_keepalive settings on an app-by-app
basis rather than for the whole system?
Well, you could set it on individual workstations instead of on the
server.  I.e. if you set tcp_keepalive on your workstation to 500, but
leave Wally and Dilbert set at the default 7200 then they'd still
timeout and you wouldn't.

Unfortunately, my individual workstations are all running Windows...:(
any idea if/where this could be set in MS-land?

You need to alter some settings in the registry.

See: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa302363.aspx

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator