Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Vacuuming

Tom Lane wrote:

The only thing a vacuum would do for you there is set the commit hint
bits on the newly-inserted rows.  Which might be worth doing if you want
to get the table into a totally "clean" state, but it's probably a bit
excessive.  SELECTs on the table will set the hint bits anyway as
they visit not-yet-hinted rows, so it's really a matter of do you want
to pay that overhead all at once or spread-out.

What you *do* want to do in this situation is an ANALYZE.

			regards, tom lane

               http://archives.postgresql.org/

Thanks Tom.

Should the ANALYZE be done before or after indexes are built? Or is that irrelevant? Should I not even bother rebuilding indexes when I do these loads?

Currently I:
1) Drop Indexes
2) Truncate and copy in new data
3) Vacuum - now changed to analyze.
4) Create indexes

I add steps one and four on the assumption that adding 40 million records in one hit might get the indexes confused - but if they are pretty stable I can remove these steps.

P.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator