Search Postgresql Archives

Re: An alternatives to rules and triggers

Glen Eustace wrote:
Is there some way that one can determine whether a table has changed i.e. an insert, delete, update, without having to resort to setting a flag in another table using a triger or rule.

I was wondering whether one of the system relations keep track of whether a table has been modifed.

How soon do you need to know that a change has occured? I suppose one could monitor the log. You'd want to keep track of where in the log your script read up to the last time, in order to avoid having to run through from the beginning each time.

And you'd want to ensure that you scan the log right before it's rotated, of course.

A bit of a hack ...