Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Feature request - have postgresql log warning when new sub-release comes out.

Ron Mayer <rm_pg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Carlos Moreno wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Well, if you can't update major versions that's understandable; that's
> >> why we're still maintaining the old branches.  But there is no excuse
> >> for not running a reasonably recent sub-release within your branch.
> >
> > Slammer..bug in Microsucks SQL Server....fix...had been available
>
> Feature request.
>
> How about if PostgreSQL periodically check for updates on the
> internet and log WARNINGs as soon as it sees it's not running
> the newest minor version for a branch.   Ideally, it could
> be set so the time-of-day's configurable to avoid setting off
> pagers in the middle of the night.
>
> I might not lurk on the mailinglists enough to notice every
> dot release; but I sure would notice if pagers went off with
> warnings in the log files from production servers.
>
> Is that a possible TODO?

If you switch to FreeBSD, you can easily have this done automatically
with existing tools.

Actually, I've a feeling that it would be trivial to do with just
about any existing packaging system ...

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com