Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PosegreSQL support

Porell, Chris wrote:

My question to the list:  Do any companies that offer professional support
services stand out from the rest?  Please let me know who you are using.

Many of the people who reply will be offering services, so it's difficult to be unbiased. Without knowing what your requirements are, there are three things that probably matter: 1. When do you need support and for how long - do you want 24/7 worldwide or Berlin office hours? A couple of days' work, or are you looking for a long-term partnership? If it's short-term work, locally based might help your comfort-level.

2. How deep/specific are your support requirements? Various of the companies employ people working on developing code for PG. Now that doesn't necessarily mean they'll know more about real-world usage than someone else, but it does mean they'll have insights regarding the inner workings of the database.

3. Do you relate well on an individual level? I've always found it helps to naturally be on the same wavelength as a client. Not vital, but definitely helps in the early days.

Finally, check the list archives for people providing useful advice in areas you are interested in. That might give you some insight as to whether firms will be able to help you.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd