Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Problem Backing Up a DB

Peter Neu wrote:
Hello,

I have a problem with backing up a database. The original db runs on a SuSE
ES 9 box in Unicode. Version 7.4.2

If you're keeping this installation, see about upgrading to the latest 7.4.x

The recovery db is supposed to run on a windows xp box. The encoding is
UTF-8. Version 8.1

On the linux box I did:
pg_dumpall > outfile

On the windows box I did:
psql -f outfile authdb

OK. First, it's always better to use a more recent pg_dump if possible. If your linux box is accessible from the XP machine you can just do something like:

C:\Program File\...\pg_dump -h <linux-box-name-or-ip> -U postgres -d <dbname> -F c > mydb.dump

Secondly, you probably want to dump the single database and then any users separately. Do this as a superuser (e.g. postgres) and use the custom format (-F c) for maximum flexibility.

Then you can use pg_restore to restore to your target DB.

Problem is when I reload the db in this manner the sequences for the id
column gets messed up ("user_auth_id2_seq"). The count starts from 1 again
when I insert a new row. :o(
For error output please see below. I already created the empty db authdb on
the recovery instance because otherwise an error is thrown.

pg_restore can create the DB for you.

Well, it looks like setval() is being called at least four times, and two of those have values > 1.

 setval
--------
     58
 setval
--------
      1
 setval
--------
      1
 setval
--------
     28

Try a later version of pg_dump and see if that does the trick.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd