Search Postgresql Archives

Re: selective export for subsequent import (COPY)

Tom Lane wrote:
> chrisj <chrisj.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> This helped a lot, but ideally I want a tab field delimiter and -F '\t' does
>> not seem to work, any ideas??
>
> I don't think there's any provision for backslash-notation in that
> switch; you'd need to type an actual tab character there.  Depending on
> what shell you use, that might be a bit difficult on an interactive
> shell command line, but it should be simple enough to insert one in a
> script file.

I'm not sure what shell is being used, but the following works with
bash, csh, tcsh, and ksh under Linux:

In order to emit an actual tab character on the shell command line (and
ignore any shell auto-completion features that are normally tied to the
tab key), preface the literal tab character with Ctrl-V.  Thus, the
delimiter specification from above would be typed "-F '<Ctrl-V><Tab>'".

Hope this helps.

Andrew