Search Postgresql Archives

Re: dollar-quoting trouble

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Does "psql --version" match "select version()"?  There's a message in
the archive pgsql-bugs where this happened.
That was indeed part of the trouble:

Both 7.4.16 and 8.1.8 being installed on Debian I couldn't
get the default psql be 8.1 despite using
update-alternatives. So there was psql 7.4 being used
against the 8.1 server which is bound to lead to trouble.

That being solved by deinstalling 7.4 (which I was
transitioning off anyways) psql created the function just
fine.

If you do want 2 versions installed (both in different prefix dirs) at the same time then you probably want to make sure that your shell $PATH setting includes the path to the newer version of psql and then specify the full path to the older version of psql when you want to use the older version. Or just use the full path every time you run psql.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@xxxxxxxxxx

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz