Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Auditing a database

Ask the question: can I make sure I always have a complete trail? If you insert the old row, you will always have the old values and the table itself holds the new values.

Germán Hüttemann Arza wrote:
Hi,

I am developing a web application for auditing tables from a postgresql database.

My question is: when an update occurrs in the base table, should I insert in the auditing table the new record or the old one?

I was first inserting the new one but a job partner, who are testing the application suggested that probably would be better to insert the old record because it is simpler to follow the trace of updates.

What you suggest?

Regards,

--
Kenneth Downs