To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] dropping role w/dependent objects

On Wednesday April 4 2007 4:39 pm, Ed L. wrote:
On Wednesday April 4 2007 4:35 pm, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Note that you can give the objects owned by that role to
> someone else with REASSIGN OWNED, and drop the objects with
> DROP OWNED (note that they act differently regarding grants;
> see the docs)

Yes, but how do identify what they are so that I know if I
want to DROP OWNED them?

The REASSIGN OWNED appears to be insufficient:

% psql -c "reassign owned by mygroup to mydba"
REASSIGN OWNED
% psql -c "drop group mygroup"
ERROR: role "mygroup" cannot be dropped because some objects depend on it
DETAIL:  225 objects in this database

Thanks,
Ed

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend