Search Postgresql Archives

Re: UPDATE on two large datasets is very slow

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 08:24:46PM -0700, Steve Gerhardt wrote:
I've been working for the past few weeks on porting a closed source
BitTorrent tracker to use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL for storing
statistical data, but I've run in to a rather large snag. The tracker in
question buffers its updates to the database, then makes them all at
once, sending anywhere from 1-3 MiB of query data. With MySQL, this is
accomplished using the INSERT INTO...ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE query,
which seems to handle the insert/update very quickly; generally it only
takes about a second for the entire set of new data to be merged.

For the record, this is what the SQL MERGE command is for... I don't
think anyone is working on implementing that though...
This will possibly provide a solution to this question:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-UPSERT-EXAMPLE

--
Tommy