Search Postgresql Archives

Re: VACUUM FULL takes long time to complete

On Mar 31, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

Firstly, with autovacuum you really don't need to be running VACUUM
FULL anyway. VACUUM FULL is actually quite inefficient, you're better
off having higher FSM settings and leaving it to autovacuum.

Thank you (and Bill Moran) for the response. The reason we run VACUUM FULL daily, I think, is just a hangover from the times when Postgres didn't have autovacuum in core. And I think using FULL in particular was from a desire to keep the database as trim as possible.

We'll flip our automated process off and see how things go. Maybe implement a monthly CLUSTER and/or REINDEX on the largest tables to help keep their sizes in check.

Thanks again!

eric