Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How does filter order relate to query optimization?

A really long time ago, on 2/27/07, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Usually what you want to think about for something
like this is plan optimization, ie, what order are the tables joined in
and with what join methods.

How exactly can you control the join order?  I have cases where the
explain data indicates that the planner is picking a very inefficient
way to get the data, (i.e. joining two very big tables in their
entirety, then joining that to a 3rd with maybe 10 rows yielding maybe
30).  I'd love to have some more determinacy in dealing with the
planner on complex queries...

Dave