Search Postgresql Archives

Re: cutting out the middleperl

Merlin Moncure wrote:
On 3/27/07, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>>> "Kenneth" == Kenneth Downs <ken@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Kenneth> This in effect makes the web server a proxy to the database, which Kenneth> sounds like what you are after. The "P" portion for us is PHP, not Kenneth> Perl, and it is small though non-zero. It has only two jobs really. Kenneth> In the one direction it converts HTTP requests into SQL, and in the
Kenneth> other it converts SQL results into HTML.

How do you control trust? I presume you're not accepting raw SQL queries (or even snippets) over the wire, so you have to have enough server-side mapping
code to map domain objects into database objects and domain verbs into
queries, and then authenticate and authorize that this verb is permitted by
the incoming user. That can't be just a trivial amount of code.  That's
usually a serious pile of code.

And please don't tell me you do all of that client-side. :)

looking at his project, it looks like you create tables and forms
using simple rule based system. very elegant imo, although I would
greatly prefer to to have the rules be in tables them selves, so I can
manipulate with sql, or self hosting dialogs.   very interesting
project i must sasy, it feels like alphora but with web spin on it.

Actually we do put the rules in the tables and you can execute SQL directly, something that I so much take for granted now that I sometimes have to remind myself that most of the world cannot do this! If the website is not giving that impression, I'll have to correct that, ouch! Can you tell me what gave you the impression we were just about web forms?

Thanks for the comments, "elegant", now that's something I'll have to forward to Mom :)

merlin

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster