Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PG over NFS

There is GFS2, OCFS, DRBD, ENBD, iSCSI, AoE and a ton of other technologies. What on earth is the point in trying to use a DBMS over NFS? :)

In case it's just for the fun of it, maybe consider:
- davfs2
- curlftpfs

However, I am primarily concerned with safety/recoverability (on sudden power loss);

Well then.. forget about NFS :) What about various replication solutions like slony, 8.2 warm standby log shipping, mammoth replicator?

must also assume the NFS server may lose power

A raid controller with battery backed cache and/or an UPS might be a good start. If that's not an option disable all write caches or use a filesystem that supports write barriers.

Yang wrote:
This has been discussed before (some URLs below), but the threads have
unfortunately been rather free of (precise) information. I am
interested in getting PG running over NFS. However, I am primarily
concerned with safety/recoverability (on sudden power loss); I care
very, very little about the performance. Hence, I think this is a
substantially simpler question to answer definitively (must also
assume the NFS server may lose power). The particular NFS client and
server implementations I'm using are the Linux NFS implementation
(using kernel 2.6).

If PG is unsuitable for this task, can any (preferrably open-source)
alternatives be recommended? (Just for curiosity, consider any storage
system supporting transactions and recovery, not necessarily the
relational model or high performance.)

BTW I've included some correspondence from my colleagues; I would also
appreciate it if any corrections are offered to their statements (if
necessary). From querying #postgresql on FreeNode, I gathered that as
long as fsync works properly (flushes data to the server), there are
no other concerns (and that there is in fact no file locking, except
perhaps on the pid file).

--
Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath