Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Matrix (linear algebra) operations and types in PG?

Webb Sprague wrote:
Hi all,

Take a look at pl/r, http://www.joeconway.com/plr/. This is a interface
to R: http://www.r-project.org/
I'm not familiar with this, but i think, this may be helpful for you.

Shoot -- I should have said that I knew about plr -- supposedly a
great project (maybe the reason there is no matrix type/operator in
PG), but not what I am interested in, for reasons more to do with
curiousity and the joy of hacking than with any pragmatic need.
(Thanks, though, Andreas)

I've found myself recently wanting a lighter weight way to do certain advanced math operations along these lines. For example, I needed a quick and simple way to do N-order polynomial least squares fits. But I found LAPACK more complex than I really wanted.

Looking around a bit I found http://freshmeat.net/projects/ccmath which unfortunately looks unmaintained and LGPL licensed, but has a nice simple API for doing curve fits. It also has all the matrix operations you're looking for.

I've already used it to write a polynomial least squares fit custom aggregate for postgres, and was thinking to do something with the fft and power spectrum functions next.

BTW, I tried to contact the author to see if he'd be willing to allow me to pull out just the stuff I need and release it under a BSD license along with my code, but he did not reply.

Joe