Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Moving from 32 to 64 bit builds on Solaris

At 7:47 PM +0100 3/10/07, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 08:30:20AM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
 Possibly it won't. The machine the DB is on sees heavy access to
 large files, to the point where parts of the database may get flushed
 out of the OS buffer cache. I was working on the (possibly deeply
 flawed assumption) that I'd be better off if more of the database was
 guaranteed pinned in memory in Postgres' buffer cache -- it wouldn't

Err, is shared memory actually guarenteed to be pinned in memory? I
mean, in Linux it's not as that is a form of DOS attack, pin all memory
by allocating it as SHM.

I'm not worried about swapping -- the box has more than enough memory that it's not going to swap.

What I am looking at is response times after a relatively long (20-30 minute) period of inactivity. When the database is being accessed and the data files are either in shared buffers or OS file cache, performance is really snappy. When the database has been ignored for a while and other things go on the box, postgres' data files get expunged from the OS caches, and access times for the first few queries go from milliseconds to seconds. No surprise, certainly, HD access times being what they are.

I've got enough memory on the box that I can reasonably map a four or five gig into postgres and just leave it there. It'll probably not slow down anything else significantly, but if it means the difference between having to re-read a page from disk and just hit shared buffers, then it's worth it in response time.
--
				Dan

dan@xxxxxxxxx                         have teddy bears and even
                                      teddy bears get drunk