Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PG periodic Error on W2K

Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 10:45:16AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
Magnus Hagander <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 09:44:19AM +0900, Paul Lambert wrote:
I am periodically getting errors pop up on the server console of the following nature: The File or directory D:\PostgresQL\Data\global\pgstat.stat is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.
They can *not* be caused by a bug in PostgreSQL - no more than a kernel
oops in linux is the fault of PostgreSQL. Now, we do push the filesystem
and disk layer in an unusual way with the pgstats writes, gievn that we
rewrite the same file over and over and over and over again at very
short intervals. But nothing says we're not allowed to do that :-)
I'm wondering whether the message is coming from the kernel, or some
sort of file-scanning utility that gets confused when a file is deleted
while it's looking at it.

That specific message comes from the kernel.

//Magnus

       match

Still getting the errors, but I managed to convince the powers that be to order me a fancy new server so we'll see how that goes when it arrives.

Thanks again to all for the info though.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator