Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgres slower on nested queries

Tom Lane wrote:
Richard Huxton <dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Alexander Elgert wrote:
I found the postgres version VERY slow, so a decided to fetch

Define VERY - it took what, milliseconds to do this? Seconds? Hours?

I think he's complaining that the standards-conformant view in Postgres
is slower than the specialized SHOW command in mysql.  For an
apples-to-apples comparison, select directly from the system catalogs
--- the information_schema views are definitely slower, because they
have to enforce various spec restrictions (eg that you can't see info
about tables you don't have access to).

I'm still seeing times ~ 3ms to find one table and ~18ms for one column on my test server. Around ~ 300ms for 1169 columns. I still can't quite see what you'd do that would need to know about individual columns in such a hurry.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd