Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Best way to store and retrieve photo from PostGreSQL

We are storing images as files with names/paths, metadata, etc. in PostGIS (as our images are often associated with a location, being things like field specimen images, or seabed pictures we use PostGIS to store & query the location info, and UMN Mapserver as the engine driving a map based image selection tool - www.atlasmd.com)

Atlas originally used Firebird RDBMS for image data, but was migrated to PostGIS to fully support OGC compliant spatial functionality.

The additional step we have implemented to ensure a two way link between the images & the data is to write the db primary key to an EXIF field in each image as it is uploaded. This means that given an image, we can access it's data from the DB, (by looking up the key which is embedded in the image) instead of the usual approach which only permits a link the other way.

Cheers,

 Brent Wood