Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Stored Procedure examples

On 2/14/07, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 05:18:10PM -0500, Walter Vaughan wrote:
> This may not help, but I noticed using pgAdminIII, you can create a
> procedure or a function, but they seem to have the same creation interface
> and use the same icon.

Way back when I learned that procedures are merely functions that don't
return a value. So in that sense procedures are indeed just functions.
You obviously mean something else but I'm not sure what.

I thought stored procedures did not run implicitly in transactions
like functions do.  If that's the case, that's a huge
difference....you could do vacuum, large loads, etc. that you
currently have to do outside the database.  I'm not sure about this
though.

merlin