Search Postgresql Archives

Re: getting postgres to emulate mysql/sqlserver bit datatype

On 12/02/07, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Anton Melser wrote:
>> Is there any way
>> to force pg to accept 1 and 0 for boolean?

> postgres=# insert into bool_test values(1::boolean);
> INSERT 166968558 1
> postgres=# insert into bool_test values(0::boolean);
> INSERT 166968559 1

Possibly Anton is using an old version in which there wasn't a built in
int-to-bool cast?

In my searching I did turn up a comment (maybe from you even!) about
how it wouldn't work (before at least). I guess my problem is that
there is a body of sql that can't be changed, or at least the other
devs aren't interested enough in pg support to let me add a ton of if
pg else code. I think that creating a type is probably the way to go,
though if anyone has any advice I'm all ears.
I have .net code which has things like
bool myBool = datareader.GetBoolean(datareader.GetOrdinal("my_bool"));
Or something similar (I'm at work...). So I need to be able for npgsql
to return a boolean, but also need to be able to insert and compare
with straight 1, 0. I suppose there is a way that I can get around it
but after a couple of hours I haven't been able to come up with
anything.
Cheers
Anton