Search Postgresql Archives

Naming conventions

Sorry if this may be a bit off topic. I'm curious what naming conventions people use for column names. After trying quit a few different conventions I've come to use differing cases and the underscore to identify and delimit variables. A lot of it has to do with sql and Postgresql reserved words, for instance "password" would be "_password" for a column name. "Invoice Number" would be "_invoiceNumber" Hmm, is sql case sensitive? I don't think so. It's mainly for my own benefit as well as code generators I use. Also, if I have to identify different modules within the same database I'd use something like "accounting_invoiceNumber"

It's similar to a commonly used c++ convention for variable names. I know it looks a little weird, but sql reserved words is a very real problem that needs to be dealt with, and having strange spellings like "dte" for "date" or an unnatural addition like "invoice_date" creates confusion when coding for me. It's better to just have something like "_date" which is unambiguous if you're using table "invoice" and column "_date".

Just wondering what other approaches there are for this. Variable, class, function naming, I think, is one of most important issues in programming.

Thanks.