Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Service startup - troubleshooting

Mike wrote:
Hello,

I know this is probably a borderline Linux question but I think
someone with PostgreSQL expertise will better be able to answer it (I
already struck out on the Linux side and after much searching on the
Web).

I installed Postgres 8.1 on Ubuntu 6.10 using Synaptic. Postgres is
listed under System|Administration|Services in the UI, and there's an
init script (which references /usr/share/postgresql-common/init.d-
functions) in the appropriate run level directory. However, Postgres
still won't run at startup.

As root, try running:
  /etc/init.d/postgresql status
If that says it's running, check with ps, otherwise try
  /etc/init.d/postgresql start
Error messages should be printed to console or to a log somewhere like /var/log/postgresql

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd