Search Postgresql Archives

Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32

Dave Page wrote:

pgAdmin doesn't force them to store any passwords at all. That's pure FUD.

You are correct on that fact Dave, however it does force them to store the password in a pgpass file without their knowledge. When you check that box "Store Password" it is not warning the user that a pgpass file will be created and that it will affect all applications that use libpq for that particular host. So a user selects store password in pgAdmin III, then they need to use psql for some reason and yipee skipee they get automagically authenticated when they attempt to connect to that host. I had know idea pgAdmin III was using pgpass to store the password, I thought something was wrong with my servers pg_hba.conf file or a it was a bug.

It just totally amazes me that you don't see the big picture problem with pgAdmin III using pgpass.

The only other solution to this problem beside the pgAdmin III team fixing the inappropriate use of pgpass is to make a change to libpq by adding
a new connections string option to ignore the pgpass file.
At least that way the developer of the application would have the choice to use pgpass or not.

Later,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design