Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Example of RETURNING clause to get auto-generated keys

Now playing devil's advocate, can anyone see scenarios where this will not work as expected? Examples (descriptions not sql necessarily) of those would be helpful too...

Just to be sure, will the RETURNING clause work with custom sequences (say, non numeric or increment by two) or other types of key generators?... And how will triggers interfere with it (if at all)?

I honestly have limited experience with server generated keys that are not numeric/serial (or uuids), or with cases where triggers, constraints, etc might come into play (I'm used to using the DB mostly as a storage device and using server-side logic..)

Ken