Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Installing Postegres side-by-side with M$ SQL server]]

Ron Johnson wrote:

       match

We've got pretty new hardware - DS15's, DS25's, Itaniums and so forth. But we don't run any DB app on it, most of our data sits in RMS files or flat binary files - even text files in a few instances, thus making standard DB queries nigh on impossible with the exception of a report generator we've built into the app, but that has nowhere near the capabilities of something like crystal reports or M$ Access, thus the need for a 'replica' standard db model. We looked at Mimer on VMS for a while but threw that out. We've got about 40 Alphas of various power levels and a couple of Itaniums on our WAN so plenty of grunt to spare though. About half of our programming staff would privately fit into category 3 too - myself included (though I did give away my vax a few years ago, leaving me with a solitary DS10)

Having said that, I do agree with your point on those main 4 categories of VMS users and thus the unlikelyhood that anyone would be willing to do a Postgres port. Still a shame though :)

Paul.