Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Performance with very large tables

Jan van der Weijde wrote:
That is exactly the problem I think. However I do not deliberately
retrieve the entire table. I use the default settings of the PostgreSQL
installation and just execute a simple SELECT * FROM table. I am using a separate client and server (both XP in the test
environment), but that should not make much difference.
I would expect that the default behavior of PostgreSQL should be such
that without LIMIT, a SELECT returns records immediately.

No it doesn't. You've asked for all the records, so it assumes you want all the records. If you want a few at a time, use a cursor.
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd