Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Need setup help for Postgresql 8.1.3 on Solaris 10

Gellert, Andre wrote:
Hello all,

I need some hints how to setup Postgresql on a brand new testsystem.

Due to heavy load on the current database servers, my boss decided to
test a big server as a replacement for  5 other servers. ;-) The
system is used in a extranet environment - over 50 percent of the
load is produced from an online catalog. I doubt, that one system
could handle the queries of 5 vehement used 3ghz-double-processor
systems, so I would select another db scenario, but it worth to try.

We have such a testsystem now, 4 x AMD Opteron (double core techn.)
885 2.6ghz , running with 32 GB Ram and fast 10.000rpm SAS discs,

How many disks? What RAID?

build-in in a nice sun case ;-) Sounds nice, but it doesn't perform
like a thought it should. Maybe this is a misconfiguration of
PostgreSQL on Solaris 10, it's my first time on this platform, maybe
it is a problem with the hardware.

Reading , e.g. dumping a database, seems to run at expected
performance, so I am going to test this system with read-querys from
the live system on monday, to see how it performs with hundrets of
parallel queries in a minute. But my concerns are here: Restoring a
800mb database dump, produced with pg_dump from this system, really
takes long. On the "old" linux RHEL 3.2ghz systems the restore takes
10 minutes (while serving extranets additional), but on the new
system this takes nearly 40 minutes. What happens while restoring ? :
 - Creating the tables is fast. - While loading the data into the DB
i do not see significant load, a postgres process is running with 2-3
% usage in the background, main of the time the "top" command claims
that the postgres processes are "sleep"ing. System load is 0.1.

Is your disk I/O saturating? Try vmstat/iostat (or whatever the Solaris equivalent is).

- While creating indexes the postgres daemon behaves like expected,
nearly 12.5% usage, system load nearly 1 . Trying to store the
sqldump on another partition than the harddisc did not help. Copying
local on the harddisc is fast (serial read/write, okay).

Why is the loading process so slow, what could block the write
process ? Creating indizes is writing, too, so why is this "normal"
fast ?

I do not have configured autovacuum (would slow things down), I do
not have moved databases or tables to different partitions (could be
a speed improvement).  Even with the current configuration, it should
perform much better.

Details to postgresql.conf , these are the values I changed (against
defaults):

maintenance_work_mem = 32768 # 32 MB for vacuumdb etc... work_mem =
102400 # min 64, size in KB #// 1024

I think your work_mem is too large (100MB) and maintenance_work_mem too
small, for a restore with 32GB of RAM anyway.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd