Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Autovacuum Improvements

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
To be frank, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.  I'm
sure more analysis is good; that's easy to agree with.

However, I don't want to be trapped in a design that's too hard to
implement, or too hard for DBAs to manage.

+1

> There have been proposals to add these knobs:
- maximum number of simultaneous processes (and make it more than 1)
- times of day on which to change parameters (i.e. disable vacuum
  altogether, or make it more agressive or less)

Of all the autovacuum improvement discussions that I've seen recently the one additional knob that sounds like a good idea to me is a way to specify "HOT" tables that get special attention from autovacuum. There has been a lot of conjecture as to a good implementation, and I don't have a position on that, but I do think it's a good idea.