Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Database Corruption - last chance recovery options?

On Jan 5, 2007, at 10:01 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Michael Best <mbest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Set your memory requirement too high in postgresql.conf, reload instead
of restarting the database, it silently fails sometime later?

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me, since the reload is going to ignore any
changes related to resizing shared memory. I think that 8.2 might warn
you that it was ignoring the un-applyable changes, but the warnings
would only go to the postmaster log, where they're easily missed :-(

Wait, now I'm curious. If a change in postgresql.conf that requires a restart doesn't take effect on reload, then how could a related failure manifest at all, regardless of when?

--
Thomas F. O'Connell

optimizing modern web applications
: for search engines, for usability, and for performance :

http://o.ptimized.com/
615-260-0005