Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Geographical redundancy

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Dennis wrote:

I was thinking of maybe just having 2nd location receive a PG dump (full or incremental) every so often (an hour to 6 hours) and if the main location fails majorly, restore the PG cluster from the dump and switch DNS settings on the actual sites. I can make sure all website files are always in sync on both locations.

Well, first off, you can just rsync your archived WAL files. That may be easier than playing with pg_dump:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/continuous-archiving.html

But second, and more important given your data-loss desires, if you do it this way you have a window where you can experience data loss. Specifically, after a transaction is committed, that commit will be at risk until the next transfer has completed.