Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Clustering & Load Balancing & Replication

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Shoaib Mir wrote:

We are trying to achieve High Availability over load balancing, so
basically we always try and have 2 databases in the same state while >>both
are active,

What problems do you see with Slony + Linux HA combo there? I think a Slony
failover can do the same and promote a slave node to master in case of a
master node failure, and then you can actually do the load balancing by
using the slave nodes in the system.

Please let me know on any updates for OpenSSI if you get a chance to try
that out

Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB ( www.enterprisedb.com)

I have a simillar problem, such that the HA aspect involves multiple data centers. I can deploy multiple systems within a single data center and achieve HA within that data center using the techniques discussed in this thread. What I have not been able to come up with a good semi-general purpose solution to is cross-data-center HA. As a result we are using very application specific techniques to try to address this, but the longer term maintenance we suspect will be high. How do others deal with this problem?

- Marc