To: "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "Postgresql" <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Starting Postgresql

a shell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_%28computing%29

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:59:05AM -0800, Bob Pawley wrote:
I haven't used the command lines previously having relied on PG Admin.

In the instructions -
"Starting postmaster
Nothing can happen to a database unless the postmaster process is running. As the site administrator, there are a number of things you should remember before starting the postmaster. These are discussed in the installation and configuration sections of this manual. However, if Postgres has been installed by following the installation instructions exactly as written, the following simple command is all you should need to start the postmaster:

% postmaster "- nowhere is it stated where the command is typed.Perhaps someone can tell me?Bob Pawley
--
You have no chance to survive make your time.