Search Postgresql Archives

Re: FreeBSD 6.0 PostgreSQL upgrade

On Dec 19, 2006, at 3:17 AM, Jeff Amiel wrote:

We have a production FreeBSD 6.0 system with Postgresql 8.1 where we
have avoided upgrading/updating the ports to avoid compatability and
other unknown issues.
We have our supfile default date set on our production, test and
development environments to ensure that they all have the same
versions.

Makes sense for the OS (we use the -RELEASE versions ourselves).

For ports, what you probably want to do is have a staging environment on which you can install and upgrade ports at will, and verify that they work with your application. Once verified, build packages from those ports and then use the packages to install on your production server(s).