Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Restore database from files (not dump files)?

In article <MPG.1fe17d71afa77c5b989742@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
wheel  <wheel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

% I copied all of the database 'parts' to the new 'base' directory. I am
% not sure how carefully anyone has read what I wrote. But it's so simple
% what I'm asking about, or so it would seem to me.

As several people have pointed out, you can't do this.

% In another install of pg (assuming BM is not reading this and won't be
% upset by abbreviations) there was a database at this location:
%
% c:\postgresql\data\base\16404
%
% at least I think that is a database folder, I've never read anything
% about where/how postgres stores the files for a database. Under the
% 16404 folder are many other folders, I think they comprise that
% particular database.
%
% On a separate postgres installation, ie different server, I want to move
% that 16404 folder (with child dirs etc, what I assume are it's parts) to
% what amounts to the same location:
%
% c:\postgresql\data\base\16404

As several people have pointed out, this will not work. You can copy
c:\postgresql\data and everything under it, but you can't copy
individual subdirectories and have it work.

--

Patrick TJ McPhee
North York  Canada