To: "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "Steve Atkins" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "PgSQL General" <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 1:31 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PG Admin

Bob Pawley wrote:
I'm sure that PG Admin just generates the numbers in the GUI as it
displays them (as they're meaningless as persistent data).

Perhaps - but they aren't necessarily meaningless as pure information.

Can't you just do the same - generate the numbers within your
application - and only store them once this "construction phase" ends?

It seems weird to keep some arbitraty numbering scheme in the database.

What does it signify in that phase? Does order matter at all - or is
that what it's supposed to be?

You could also use a mixed solution:
- use a sequence during the construction phase to order by,
- generate the "real" numbering in your client application based on that
order,
- store the generated numbers instead of the sequence values once the
construction phase is finished.

PS. please don't top post, I had to reconstruct your message to let it
make sense.
--
Alban Hertroys
alban@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx