Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Storing files in postgres db

Hello Tam Wei,

tam wei wrote:
I am intending to store the files inside the postgres DB using the
type text (all the files will be pre-encode into base64. The reason
for not using the type bytea as I encountered some undesired
format(the original file alignment can't be preserved) while
extracting the content and display iit using php).

You must be doing something wrong on PHP side. Make sure you use pg_escape_bytea/pg_unescape_bytea when storing/loading. We use it and it works with binary files, no problem. You are wasting space and slowing things down with base64.

Will it be a bad idea for storing the files in DB? the file size is
about 20 ~ 40 KB. 3K files need to be stored per day. Is there any
impact on the DB performance?

We use it to store files of 50MB without any difficulty. It all depends, of course, on your hardware and load.

--
Michal Táborský
chief systems architect