Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Restore database from files (not dump files)?

wheel wrote:
In article <200612011732.kB1HWUk19778@xxxxxxxxxx>, bruce@xxxxxxxxxx says...

wheel wrote:

Can a pgsql 8.1 database be restored from the raw file? For one database I have only the files found in the base folder, example C:\PostgreSQL \data\base\16404, there are many files called 1247, 1248, etc (no extension). I think these are the files that make up the database? For this db I don't have a dump file, just what is on disk. I do know the users and passwords etc. I've hunted around quite a bit in various places and most of the restore discussions center around files created with pg_dump.

Uh, do you have the entier /data directory tree?  If so, just restore
the directory start it up a binary.

Yes I have the entire dir/file set. But what does "If so, just restore
the directory start it up a binary" mean? Restore the dir, you mean copy it to it's location under \base? What does start it up a(s?) binary mean? I'm new to postgres.

I have copied the folders back to the base dir (like C:\PostgreSQL\data
\base\16404) if that's step one but what after that?

Just start Postgres. If the data dir is ok, it should run fine.

I'm assuming the binary is 8.1 but are the data files from the same version?